Thursday, July 24, 2008

Crème Brûlée by Steve

I like Crème Brûlée, real Crème Brûlée that is. As an ice cream, it is like a potato chip trying to be a Dorito. Not the real thing, and no express need to try. The custard ice cream was fun, a little thicker and creamier than regular ice cream. I thought for a fleeting moment that I might have a potential winner on ice cream base alone, then I encountered the crunchy caramelized sugar swirl. Things went quickly from promising to "not a chance." Fully expecting the half-burnt tasting, crunchy, thin crispy strip of roasted sugar taste that would top real Crème Brûlée, I was greeted with a crunchy swirl of oversweet and sticky sugar mass. It tasted nothing as I had hoped yet everything like another ice cream I had tasted in New Zealand, Hokey Pokey. An interesting fact about Hokey Pokey ice cream is that it is New Zealand's most popular flavor. Kiwis swear by it. I dislike the flavor. That correlation made, all was lost. Dead last. Yes, dead last is the ranking here. Next week I will turn my sites to true contenders, pulling exclusively from the flavors ahead of NYSFZC on Ben and Jerry's top ten list. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

I should have warned you that nothing with a name like that could measure up to the real thing.

Mrs. O said...

Can we ice cream cowards put in requests for flavor reviews?