Friday, October 24, 2008

Body Worlds by Whitney

This week, as a school field trip, I went to see Body Worlds. Body Worlds is an educational exhibit on the human body and it has real bodies! What they do is that when people are alive they fill out a form and go through a lot of lawyers and stuff that says they want to donate their body to science. Then years later when they die their body is plastified. Plastification is when all the fluids in the body are drained and replaced leaving behind a perfect replica of the human body. And since the dehydration goes down to the cellular level, it really is just about 100% plastic. It's not really gross at all. They didn't allow photography, so I don't have any photos. Sorry.

Body Worlds has has four exhibits that travel the world. The exhibits are really big! It took us three hours to go through ours. One is in Texas, another in Canada and on in London and of course one in Utah. They all have a different theme. The one I went to was about the heart, so it had a lot of stuff on veins and blood clots and vein structure. It conveys the utmost importance of staying healthy and keeping in shape.

I recommend it to others! I wouldn't put an age limit on it as much as a maturity limit. The body's don't have clothes on, so the mind set needs to be geared to learning, but I would recommend it to older kids. I thought it was fascinating and I appreciate the learning experience I was able to get.

5 comments:

Tai said...

You should have told us you were going. Aunt Kersten could have come down and said hi to you while you were there.

I've been three times now and it really is such an amazing educational experience and not gross at all, except for maybe the smokers lungs. I can't believe anyone would smoke after seeing what it does to your body.

Kersten said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

Whit, since they don't allow pictures, could you recommend some reading that I could do--maybe even an article or two that has pictures?

Anonymous said...

That is so cool I wish I had gone.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool I wish I had gone.

Speilberg