Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Fun




The kids all came up with their own costumes this year. Whitney was a witch, Steve L. a ceiling "fan" (his shirt reads Ceilings are #1 and Go Ceilings!), a Karate Master, a hula dancer (you can't see much of Janey's adorable handmade costume, that she spent a month on, in this picture. She couldn't wear most of it in the rain.) Ellie had her heart set on being a ghost with a sheet over her head. I couldn't talk her out of it, so I sacrificed a bed sheet and she was pleased as punch!

I unexpectedly accompanied Steve to Atlanta this week to get some much needed research time on a pressing issue. I don't have any pictures, as I stayed in the hotel and ordered room service while buried in my books the whole time. It was a timely and much needed break from the norm and although I came away with more questions and "to-do's", I also came away with the hope, peace and confidence I was seeking. My amazingly awesome and generous mother stayed with the kids on short notice and even heroically took the kids to the Ward Halloween party (where people thought she was my sister, I might add!) They also spent a day with Aunt Becca, who threw a Halloween Party of her own. Thanks mom and Bec!

Unlike my famous sister and her family who go all out for Halloween (if you know her, you know what I mean!) Halloween is a minor holiday around here. It may have something to do with the fact that I don't sew, can't stand the cheep discount store costumes and I'm too cheep to buy the cool looking ones. More likely it's the fact that I regret every piece of candy that enters one of my children's mouths, or maybe it's the regret that I'm allergic to candy and can't take "taxes" from my children's bags anymore. Regardless, we managed to have some "day of" fun.

We got all our Saturday chores done and tramped off to Wal-Mart for Pumpkins. Only they were out of Pumpkins. How can Wal-Mart run out of Pumpkins?! We finished our shopping and errands and finally tracked down some pumpkins at the local corn maze. By now it was 4:30 on the big day. In record time we carved them up, ate our traditional Halloween spaghetti dinner (traditional because it's quick and easy I think) and made our costumes. By 6:00 the younger kids were trapping in the rain in search of treats, and the older kids were off to a Halloween Party by 7:00. We finished the night watching the classic old movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

No comments: