Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rockets by Steve L.





Two weeks ago I went on another scout camp. We went specifically went for a bottle rocket competition. On Friday the other scouts and I piled into the car and we drove for about an hour. We stopped in the middle of a barren wasteland and set up camp. Then me and the other 11 year-old scouts snuck off to play softball. We played for about an hour and then we went on a hike up a mountain of loose rocks. Then we came barreling down the mountain straight into camp, in time for dinner. For dinner we had some soggy spaghetti and scones. I liked the scones. Then we did the bottle rocket contest. We had all previously made our own rockets out of 2 liter bottles. We filled them about 1/3 of the way with water, put them on the pipe and tightened a clamp around the neck. Then we pumped air into the bottle (which built up pressure) and pulled on a string to release the clamp. They flew up about 150 feet in the air! The person with the rocket with the longest hang time won a prize of $20. Someone else beat me to the $20 by 100th of a second. After it was dark we attached glowsticks to our rockets and launched them. Then we went to bed.




In the morning we packed up camp and left. Then we came to a rocket launch site ware they launched mini rockets. They would shoot up in a cloud of smoke REALLY high! After an hour we went home. I love camping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience! Ben recently got to do a similar activity with the Cubs, and loved it!
I know what it is like to lose by that much! I made a rocket for a physics class in HS, and even though my rocket sent the highest and stayed up the longest....it was carried away into the unknown by a high altitude wind! I was quite disappointed! I am glad you came away with such pleasure! --Aunt Lilly