Friday, August 8, 2008

Moeraki Boulders by Noreen

Have you ever had the satisfaction of achieving one of your childhood dreams? I had the chance on our drive from Oamaru to Potuwi.

My Dad has a New Zealand photo book with beautiful pictures of the Moeraki Boulders. They look just like giant soccer balls lying on the beach. That picture intrigued me as a child and I had always wanted to see them. It is amazing to me that you can travel thousands of miles and arrive at a specific location that you have always wanted to visit.

Some phenomenon happened naturally in the nearby cliffs that formed these almost perfect spheres, and as the dirt has eroded away it has left them on the beach. You can still see some emerging from the cliffs, and I wonder how many hundreds of years it will be before they join their companions in the water. I was just giddy to be there, and even I got wet, fully dressed.





2 comments:

Mrs. O said...

That last photo makes me want to visit. Those boulders remind me of indian marbles that you find at Lake Powell.

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

These are interesting stones. I wonder what formed them.