Friday, May 15, 2009

A Couple of Firsts by Noreen

Thursday night I experienced two exciting "firsts." The first, "first" was attending my first Governing School Board meeting for Whitney's charter high school. I was elected by the Board as their newest member and after being officially voted in, was able to participate in voting on various school related items. We also got a sneak peek at the exciting direction the school is taking in the coming year. It was invigorating to be involved in such discussions and having a real vote in the direction of the school. Anyone who really knows me knows I'm passionate about education, so being on the Governing Board is an exciting opportunity that I am grateful for.

My second "first" was trying my first sushi. Brooke, you'll be so proud! The Governing Board has a sushi tradition, taking turns bringing a tray to the meetings. As the tray was passed to me in the middle of a financial discussion, with lots of spread sheet handouts, I cautiously took a roll between two fingers. I tried not to look like I was trying sushi for the first time while making eye contact with the school director to show him I was following the April financial report. The sushi was delicious, so thankfully I was spared the embarrassment of pulling faces or dashing for the nearest garbage can in front of everyone. I'm grateful to be a thirty-something mom that is still enjoying experiencing "firsts."

1 comment:

Brooke said...

See, not so bad! and I am proud of you! Now you have to try FRESH shrimp Tempura roll with light soy sauce. Yum!