Friday, May 15, 2009

Ice Cream Review by Dad

Noreen surprised me by purchasing a pint of ice cream for me to enjoy. I gladly accented to provide a review, provided that it was my last one on the ice cream topic. I love ice cream, don’t get me wrong, but I just listened to an interview by a health guru last week and it got me motivated. So, here is my blog on the ice cream pint, realizing that it will be my last, sniff.

Mission to Marzipan was a tasty treat! Marzipan originated in the east and was introduced to Europe during the Crusades via the trading centers of Venice and eventually made its way to Germany, where I first happily ran into the tasty substance while on my mission. Considered a healing remedy in the middle ages, it was also a tasty treat that I enjoyed seeing in many different shapes (mostly pig shaped for good luck) and colors in confectioners’ windows, where its creation has become an art form.

I must admit that I approached the ice cream with relish and enjoyed the tasty treat, but was somewhat disappointed that the marzipan was not “real marzipan” at all, merely a sugary ribbon of caramel-like substance. I was not fooled and had to adjust my thinking to think of it not as marzipan at all, but some other happy flavor. That adjustment made, it was tasty, but only a one-time purchase. It had a heavy vanilla taste and was refreshing, but I was disappointed overall and am now seeking out a marzipan source to fill the void created by the expectation of the real taste. So, rock on and see you in another type of article.

No comments: