Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Liberty Girls by Noreen and Janey

This week Janey and I hosted the first meeting of our new girls club “Liberty Girls.” There are several club chapters in Utah that follow the American Girls Book series and my Sister-in-law Laura and I have started a new one. The girls read one of the books at home with their mom and then we get together and do activities based on the book. This summer we are reading the Kaya books about a Native American girl from the 1764. We read “Meet Kaya” for our first meeting. The story was beautifully written and full of choice and consequence, good family relationships, history and culture with beautiful illustrations.

We opened our club meeting with a narration on the book by Janey and made tepees out of sugar cones, icing and mini M&Ms. The book talks about how the Nez Pearce Indians followed the food supply and spent some time every year catching Salmon. I cooked some Salmon and we ate it out in the Tepee in the backyard. Most of the seven girls were brave enough to try it, and wouldn’t you know, it was my two year old niece that volunteered first! Janey had made a horse piñata when we were reading Black Beauty together and decided that the club would be the perfect place to bust it. Whitney volunteered to teach the girls about horses, and how the Indians used them, and had them each color own. We then attempted to make Indian jewelry. (Tip: Don’t buy clear elastic bead cord and expect to tie it around tiny wrists and ankles. I just isn’t going to happen.) Over all it was a great successes!

When I asked Janey her favorite part she said, “I don’t have a favorite part, I love it all!”

1 comment:

Mrs. O said...

Janey - what a fun time.