Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day by Noreen

It was Steve’s first day off since starting his new job 3 months ago. We were determined to bust out of the house for the day (as much as we could with a new puppy anyway) and shake off some of the dust that had collected on our adventurous spirits since we landed in the States. We planned to visit the Salt Flats and Antelope Island, or maybe a hike and a family bike ride before joining Steve’s family for the traditional holiday B-B-Q. Whitney and I woke up early and left quietly for a mother/daughter date at our local IHOP (International House of Pancakes.) To our surprise the garage door opened to reveal a blustery, rainy day. I thought there was a law that Memorial Day had to be the beautiful opening of summer!

Home from breakfast and still determined to get away, the kids and I decided to show Steve and Whitney the Aquarium in Sandy. (They had missed our fieldtrip there on Friday, and the kids were anxious to show them the jellyfish and stingrays.) By noon, half of Utah realized their outdoor plans for the day were not going to happen and they joined us at the aquarium. Although crowded (we lost Ellie once, while trying to help another lost toddler find his parents) we had a wonderful time. Dad read the kids every description of every animal and the kids were determined to touch the starfish, horseshoe crabs and stingrays. It made me laugh to hold my 6 and 3 year old daughters over the stingray tank as they begged to touch the elusive animals. Steve and I had taken a Western Caribbean cruse to the Cayman Islands several years ago and paid big bucks to take a speed boat to a colony of stingrays you could feed and touch in the wild. Well, once there, I was petrified. Every time one of the massive creatures would swim towards me I would climb on my husband’s shoulders and scream my guts out. When the emanate danger had passed, I’d climb down and we’d start laughing our heads off, until the next creature made its way towards us. Then the process of climbing, screaming and laughing hysterically started all over again. Eventually we made it back to the boat, without touching any stingrays! Well, I wasn’t about to touch one at the Aquarium, but Ellie, Janey, Daniel and Whitney sure enjoyed it. (Steve L. feels about the same as his mom when it comes to touching the freaky creatures.)


Ellie loves the starfish and the horseshoe crabs.







Whitney










Daniel







Janey








Steve L.






1 comment:

brooke & luke said...

Ha ha ha! I was laughing when I read your comment on your experience with the sting rays in the caymens. Your kids are so adventurous, I love it.