Friday, August 22, 2008

The Parenting Breakthrough - Book review by Noreen

My dear friend Denise invited me to spend the day with her at BYU's Education Week on Thursday. Steve was going to take the day off, but had important meetings at work come up that he couldn't miss. Whitney did a great job babysitting for the day. She played with the girls, made banana bread with Janey, fed everyone lunch and cleaned the house. All this while I was being spiritually fed and having a great time with Denise. What more could a mom ask for?

We attended some really amazing classes and I got to hear two sessions by my parenting hero, Merilee Boyack. Her book the Parenting Breakthrough, has been my "teaching children to become responsible, independent adults" bible. Most of you are probably sick of hearing me talk up this book, but in case you missed out, I highly recommend it! She is just as witty and down to earth in person as she is in her books and I love the way she thinks.

I also had the chance to attend a play that night with my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law. Although the play was regrettably awful, to the point of being comical, the company was a joy.

I thoroughly enjoyed my rare day off and I'm ready to try some new ideas and insights. Too bad I can't swing one of these days every week!

1 comment:

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

I'm so proud of Whitney for doing such a great job of babysitting.