Friday, September 12, 2008

A Bouquet of Freshly Sharpened Pencils by Noreen

Fall is my favorite season! Maybe it's because it means my birthday is around the corner, or maybe it's the comfortable temperature. I love pulling the fall clothes out of their Rubbermaid totes. I especially love finding a favorite shirt or sweater that I had forgotten I had. I love the promise of a fresh start, the return to a routine that will help me reach my goals. I love the smells of fall and the apples and the pumpkins and the leaves, especially the leaves.

We moved to Minnesota in the fall and the trees had just changed colors. I have never seen anything so stunning as the drive to the grocery store in October in MN. Steve was very nearly in a head-on collision on his first commute to St. Paul. He was so captured by the trees that he drifted into the other lane of traffic!

But even more than my favorite brilliant red maple leaves, I love new school supplies! Fresh boxes of perfect crayons, blank note books begging to be filled, glue sticks that have yet to be smashed, markers that still own all their lids, and above all a "bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils!"


First day of our new school year, complete with lots of brand new school supplies. Janey says "They're just like presents, only their not wrapped!"

2 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Nothing beats a new notebook and fancy pen. When I was a kid, I loved Bensia pencils. Remember the kind that you could pull the used up lead out and push it back down through the top and a new lead would pop out? (how's that for a run-on)

I love, love, love notebooks - especially composition ones. This year they had some with faux leather covers and I had to get a couple. Sometimes I surprise myself with my geekiness.

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

The smells of autumn...you hit it right on the head.