Friday, September 12, 2008

Liberty Girls by Janey


For Liberty Girls this week we read the book Meet Addy. Addy and her family were slaves for Master Stevens during the Civil War. Her brother and dad were sold to another white guy and Addy and her mom escaped, but they couldn’t bring her baby sister Ester. They came to this river. They tried to cross, but her mom couldn’t swim and the current took her down river and Addy had to rescue her mom.

In Liberty girls we sewed a doll like Addy’s doll in the book. Addie’s doll is named Janie in the book. Then we had a snack of corn bread. Then we showed each other pictures of our families so we could get to know each other. We made sea shell necklaces, because in the book Addy’s mom gave her a sea shell necklace that belonged to her great-grandma. It was really fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liberty girls sounds so fun. The closest I got to Liberty girls was when I got to be a Blue Bird and then a Camp fire Girl. It was a group like Brownies and Girl Scouts, I do not believe they are still around. I loved it and my mom was a leader. Love Grandma N

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

I wonder what it wold feel like to be a slave. I am so grateful for my freedoms.