Thursday, December 18, 2008

Create by Noreen

At the start of the new school year I found myself searching for the next thing to stretch myself and inspire my children. Steve suggested taking up painting (which he knows I have always wanted to do), but I dismissed it saying I needed something more academic right now. Then I attended the Women’s Session of General Conference at the end of September and President Uchtdorf spoke right to me. In his talk he said, "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty. . . "

And so, my ever wise husband knew what I needed all along. By the first week of November I was enrolled in an oil painting class one night a week and it has been a joy to create. In a high school art class I did a black and white oil painting, but this is my first ever color oil. I hope to improve a lot over time, but it has been satisfying to finally start on this life long dream.


6 comments:

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

A giant step for your first. Lovely.

Bree Biesinger Despain said...

Very nice, Noreen. You'll be a pro in no time!

Mrs. O said...

It looks so peaceful - I wish I were there.

Jennifer said...

STunning!!!! I'll leave the painting to you. YOu create beauty. I don't think I would be thrilled with the paintings I would create. I guess my talents came in a different carton.

Jennifer said...

STunning!!!! I'll leave the painting to you. YOu create beauty. I don't think I would be thrilled with the paintings I would create. I guess my talents came in a different carton.

morelightthanburden said...

Noreen, that's incredible! Truly amazing! People who can create such things are a wonder to me. You have done beautifully.

On the same note, after about four tries, I am FINALLY going to learn how to sew. I have enrolled in a sewing class (once a week), and have already made two items in just one class. Wahoo!! Hooray for mom's night off!

Excited to be seeing you tomorrow . . .