Thursday, July 3, 2008

Beehive Camp by Whitney

I really enjoyed Oakcrest it was the best camp/activity/trip I’ve ever gone on.

There are about 400 girls that attend every week, and they do it all summer.
When you get there they split you into groups each group has 8-12 kids. Each has a group leader. They all have nick-names, like Sparkles, Rio, Froot Loop, Oodlellly, Fluff and Lobsterbush.(Yes, lobsterbush.) You don’t actually get to know their real names until the very end. I got Bubbles. She is the most awesome leader. In my cabin there were nine girls total and it was great! We all gave each other nick names. (I was Robin)

There was, Monkey (Morgan), Tree (Sarah), Bananas (Tiffany), Stripes (Julia), Blondie (Kayla), Chipmunk (Tiffany), Pinecone (Chelsea), and Coolest (Leah).

There are about 60 staff members and they are all girls. About 15 are kitchen staff, about five are floaters, there are four directors, and then there are grams and gramps. (They own the property.)The rest are cabin leaders.

The kitchen staff makes the meals,

Floaters do odd jobs,

In the directorship there are;

Crimson
(The head honcho, who reminds me so much of my Aunt Laura its scary)

. Selia (second hand girl) Smooch (also second hand girl)

Elmo (head of kitchen staff)

In that order. (You have to be at least 16 to be on the staff, and at least 18 to be a counselor.)

They had classes, activities, and spiritual activities. They had scripture study every morning and night, as well as ten minutes of silence at 9:30 that you could use for writing in your journal or reading a book or what ever you felt like doing as long as it was silent.
They have a trading post that you can go and but anything you’d need, from shampoo to candy, water bottles to sweatshirts, cameras to song books. There was a craft shop were you could buy materials to make craft such as magnet boards or photo frames.

They also had activities such as a zip line, several archery ranges, (it’s a lot harder than Robin Hood makes It out to be!) a parachute and more. They also had several devotionals. We also had some classes. One was first aid taught by Stitches and Nanook. There we met Jimbo. Jimbo is a tick that is taped to a tongue depressor, to show everyone what a tick looks like. They found him on crimsons bed so now he is used as a visual aid in first aid class.

On Wednesday we went on the overnighter. It was really cool. We all hiked up to this big field with aspen groves around it then we spread out a bunch of tarps and put our sleeping bags on it. It was so cool sleeping under the stars.

I'm so sad I'm not going next year (because I'll be too old) and I can't wait till I’m old enough to be on the staff!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time at camp. I went to girls camp and boys camp this month too. Archery was my favorite. I think you will make a great counselor.
Love,
Grandpa B.

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of fun at my girls camps also, but it does not even compare to all the fun things you got to do. Love Grandma N

Mrs. O said...

I knew you'd give a great report. It sounds a much better way of doing camp, and like you made some really great friends.

Did you see any interesting birds up there?

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

That is a good goal, Whit. Hang on to it. Grandpa G.