Friday, August 29, 2008

Milford Sound by Noreen

Our next stop was Te Anau. My siblings will remember this city for its beautiful lake, Chinese Restaurant and pink automated restroom! We had Chinese takeout the first night and it was as good as I had remembered.

That Wednesday we made the incredibly gorgeous drive to Milford Sound. The fields on the way to the sound were blanketed with beautiful lupin wild flowers. The view was so stunning that, even though we were running late, Steve finally said, "I can't stand it anymore!" and pulled over to take pictures.



We were now running dangerously late for our only chance to catch a boat to see Milford Sound. Most roads in NZ are one lane each way and always windy. I think this was the only time we ever drove over 100 kphs (about 60 mph) while touring. When we finally reached to dock, about the time the boat was ready to launch, the kids and I literally jumped out of the van before it had even come to a stop. Steve had to park about a mile away, while I picked up our tickets. We were boarding the boat, not sure it Steve would make it, when he sprinted onto the boat and we were off.

We enjoyed a breathtaking 2 ½ hour cruise along the fiord.



1 comment:

Mrs. O said...

That is stunning! You have to paint that second one someday.

I love the map, too. It's fun to see where all the places are.