Thursday, June 19, 2008

Movie Review by Noreen

I was pondering what to include on the blog that was unique to us, something that we love to do. My brother and his wife share their home renovating experiences, my girlfriend Jennifer shares her amazing photography talent, and my cousin her garden and other vast talents. I’m inspired by them all. Well, Steve and I LOVE old movies! From about 1938 to 1958 there are so many classics! We love so the actors and actresses, the fact that no matter what movie you choose you’re not going to be assaulted with foul language, sex or graphic violence, but mostly we love the DIALOGUE. The dialogue between the actors is so witty and captivating. They do entire scenes without cuts, and true talent is displayed. I’m going to keep a running list of our top 40 favorite movies on the sidebar as we rewatch and rate them for you on our date nights. The first movie will be number one, but I expect the list order to chance almost weekly as we add more movies.

Rear Window 1954

Jimmy Stewart plays Jeff and Grace Kelly plays his socialite girlfriend in this Hitchcock classic. What’s not to love? My favorite part was seeing Raymond Burr (a.k.a. Perry Mason) as the villain. Almost the entire movie is shot from the perspective of Jeff’s apartment where he is confined to a wheelchair with a broken leg. He is a professional photographer, who tries to stave off his boredom by watching all of his neighbors out his back window. He suspects a crime has been committed and with the help of his girlfriend and housekeeper sets out to solve the mystery. The movie has great Hitchcock suspense, and I highly recommend it! (Keep an eye out for Hitchcock himself in the songwriter’s apartment.)

2 comments:

Mrs. O said...

I look forward to seeing more of these, thanks for posting them.

Andy and Marsha Gibbons said...

Maltese Falcon gets a vote. Bogart, crisp script, tough characters, suspense....